I’ll start by saying that hummus is my favorite high protein food! It’s also enjoyed by all my children, the littles and the teens, which is great because it can be hard for the kids to find a high protein snack they all want to eat.
What I love about hummus is that it is naturally high in protein. Hummus is a dip or spread made from blended garbanzo beans, or chickpeas, combined with olive oil and spices. Hummus also is a delicious spread on sandwiches or toast.
What makes this hummus high in protein
Hummus is already a good source of protein. But this recipe bumps up the protein with the addition of grounds almonds and Greek yogurt for a more satisfying appetizer or lunch.
About the ingredients
Garbanzo beans – Garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, are a legume that is high in protein. They are also a good source of folate, soluble fiber, phosphorus, and iron.
Using canned garbanzo beans, can speed up the processing of making this recipe for hummus. You could also use dried garbanzo beans and follow the cooking instructions.
Almond Meal – Ground almonds, or almond meal, is the best processed ingredient ever! It is easy to find in grocery stores and is such a time saver. It’s one of my favorite pantry items I always have on hand. I store opened packages in the freezer to keep the naturally-occuring oils from becoming rancid. See more notes below in the recipe on where to find ground almond meal.
Easy High Protein Hummus
- 16 ounces Garbanzo Beans canned
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup Ground Almonds also known as almond flour or almond meal
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika plus extra for garnishing
- 1 tsp Salt
- Parsley, coarsely chopped for garnish
- Drain garbanzo beans and add to food processor. Pulse garbanzo beans for about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients to food processor, including Greek yogurt, olive oil, almond meal, paprika, and salt.
- Blend all ingredients in food processor until reaches a smooth consistency, for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowl.
- Garnish top with smoked paprika and chopped parsley.
- Serve with crackers or vegetable strips, such as celery sticks.